JPay is a private company that has partnered with state, county, and federal correctional facilities across the United States to provide safe, reliable, and convenient services for family and friends of inmates and payment solutions for offenders, parolees, and probationers.
JPay prides itself on providing excellent service and delivering relevant products and services to a broad range of facilities.
Developed in 2002 by the company’s CEO and founder, Ryan Shapiro the main objective is to help inmates of the United States prison system.
Jpay has a login Portal specializes in sending money securely to inmate in US prisons.
In addition to money transfer, the site also offers many services such as sending a packed lunch, music files (MP3 format), performing a virtual tour (via computer screens) and sending an e-mail.
Not all prisons allow the same services.
JPay is established in 35 of the USA across the country, and nearly half of the federal penitentiary systems are equipped with tools of this type.
As of 2011, with 1.2 million customers in custody, JPay declared $ 30.4 million in income (or € 27.24 million).
Three years later, in 2014, its revenue had more than doubled, amounting to 70.4 million (63.1 million euros), in particular thanks to some 14.2 million messages passing through its platform.
To use the services of JPAY, it is necessary to provide the account with a credit card. In fact, to send an e-mail, you have to feed your account with virtual stamps.
For example, to send simple emails or photos, a defined number of stamps will be debited from your account. The e-mail is printed by the mail service of the penitentiary center, which then is sent to the inmate.
The email is a good complement to the handwritten letter when it is necessary to communicate quickly with an inmate. The other advantages that JPay offers are as follows:
- Safe and secure. The session closes automatically when it is not used after a few minutes.
- Prison systems also benefit from these operations, collecting a commission of around 5 cents per message.
- JPay has partnered with MoneyGram so people can now send funds to their loved ones in prison.
- Get connected with friends and family by sending Emails.
- Inmates can buy media, MP3, Videos.
- Ability to send voice messages.
How To Sign up Jpay Account ?
Before you are able to send money or communicate with your inmate/offender, you must first register with JPAY. To create a JPAY account follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch any web browser.
- Navigate to JPAY’s official website: www.jpay.com
- Once you are on the homepage, in the Select State section, enter the state where your inmate resides.
- In the Inmate ID# section, enter the inmate ID for your friend or relative, then click on the Next button. If you do not know ID then please go to the correctional agency website and search for the individual to find the ID.
- Go through the Search Result, and then click on your inmate Name.
- Then the Registration page will appear where you have to enter your information. A check on the box that reads I HAVE READ AND AGREE TO PAYMENTS TERMS OF SERVICES.
- Now click on the REGISTER button. Remember the Email ID and Password that you have entered as this will be used for logging into the website.
- The password that you enter must be 8-16 characters and should contain lower/upper case letters, numbers, and special characters(! @, #, $, %, ^, &, *).
- Wait, your SIGN UP process is not completed yet. After registration, you will need to create a user account.
- To create a user account on Jpay, click My Account once logged to the JPay and then fill in the information on the My Profile page. At the end click on Save. That’s it, your Jpay account is created.
How To Login to Jpay Account ?
After you have registered and created your JPay account, you can now easily log in to your account for conducting communication or send money and funds. Follow the steps mentioned below to log into your Jpay account.
- Launch any browser.
- Navigate to JPay’s official website: www.jpay.com.
- On the homepage, locate and click on the Login button (top right corner of the page).
- Next, enter your Email address and password.
- Finally, click on the LOGIN button, you are now logged into your account.
That’s it, now you can use JPay to send money or connect with your friends and families.
How To Buy Jpay Stamps ?
For sending Email, and conduct communication, you must purchase stamps. To buy JPay stamps, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Login to your JPay account.
- On the home page, on the Navigation menu, click Email.
- Then on the compose page, from the Email menu, click Buy Stamps.
- Choose the number of stamps to purchase and click on CONTINUE.
- The next step for you is to choose the payment method. Choose your type of bank card: enter your credit card number. Then click on CONTINUE.
- You have now purchased Jpay stamps, you can now send an e-mail from Jpay.
How do I email an inmate on JPay?
Once you have bought Jpay Stamps, you can use them to send an email to the inmate/offender you want. Follow the steps mentioned below to send an email.
- Log into your Jpay Account.
- On the Navigation menu, click Email.
- Then on the Compose page, enter the content you want to send. You can attach an image, video, or attach a VideoGram.
- Check the name, number, and prison of your correspondent
- Once finished, you can send your email by pressing SEND.
- If you send an e-mail with a document, then several stamps will be invoiced. Once you have checked everything, press CONTINUE.
- A message is displayed to confirm the sending of the e-mail.
How To send Money to your inmate From Jpay?
If you want to send money to your inmate, you can do so by following the steps mentioned below:
- First login to your Jpay account.
- Then from the Navigation menu, and click on SEND MONEY.
- On the Send Money page, do either of the following:
- In the Transfer Category listing, select a transfer category and then click on Continue. Or
- If no Transfer Category is available to you, click Continue.
- Next, to make a payment, either choose a previously saved card from the Select card list or click Use a new credit/debit card.
- Enter the amount you want to send and then click on the Continue button.
- And finally, in the Payment Verification box, make sure all the information is correct then click Submit.
How To Change Password ?
If you want to change your Jpay password to a new one, you can do so by following the methods mentioned below:
- Login to your Jpay account as mentioned earlier, and then click on MY ACCOUNT.
- On it, scroll down and click on the option that says CHANGE PASSWORD.
- Next, type in your current password and enter your new password twice and click on SAVE.
How To Reset Forget Password ?
If you have forgotten your JPay password, then you can reset your password by following the steps mentioned below:
- First, go to the Jpay login page, underneath the login section click on the Forgot your password link.
- Then provide your Email Address (user id).
- After that, click on Send Me a Reset Link button, the link will be sent to your email.
- Click on the link in your Inbox and reset your password.
If in any case, you don't remember your user id or email, please call customer service at (800) 574-5729
How to Change Email Address of Jpay Account ?
If you want to change the email address, then you can follow the methods mentioned below:
- First, log in to your JPay account, and click on MY ACCOUNT.
- Scroll down and then click on EMAIL PREFERENCES.
- The next step for you is to enter your new Email address twice and click on the UPDATE button.
What Are The Payment Methods ?
For any process to perform through your JPay account, you have to purchase Stamps. The process of Buying Stamps has been explained above. JPay also accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and cash. They also accept debit cards, gift cards, check cards, and pre-paid cards as long as they have the Visa, MasterCard, or Discover logo on them and they are registered to a valid US or international address.
How To Cancel/ deactivate/Close JPay Account
If your inmate is released from the federal prison, then you will no longer need the services of JPay service. If you want to switch to services other than JPay, then also you might want to close your account. In such case, you can follow the methods mentioned below:
- Login to your Jpay account first and then click on the MY ACCOUNT section.
- Scroll down and click on the option PAYMENT METHODS.
- Now click on the option EDIT or DELETE, then follow the instruction given on the screen.
- You can also talk to their customer service representative to close your account.
Jpay Customer Service?
For any information and queries, you can contact their Customer Service Representatives via 1 800 574 JPAY (5729) 24 hours a day 7 days a week.