Internet Explorer generally termed as IE, is a web browser that was created by the Microsoft company in 1995, exclusively for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Since its creation, IE became one of the most used Internet browsers, reaching its peak of users between 2002 and 2003.
Updates and development of new functions for this browser were canceled as of 2016, giving way to its successor Microsoft Edge.
In 2020 Microsoft announced that from 2021 its products would no longer be compatible with IE.
There are fewer users who use this browser now; however, for those of you who still like to use this browser, a complete guide is presented here on how to enable or delete cookies in the browser.
In case you have disabled cookies in your IE, here’s how you can enable it.
- In your Internet Explorer browser window, click the Tools button at the top right. In the drop-down menu, click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options window that opened, click the Privacy tab and, under Settings, then click the ” Default ” button (or manually drag the bar down to Medium ) under Settings.
- This setting will allow first-party cookies but will block third-party cookies. First-party cookies mean that the cookies placed on your computer originate from the web page you are currently viewing. Third-party cookies are cookies left by a different domain than the one you are currently viewing.
- You can also choose to accept third-party cookies, but this is generally not recommended unless it is necessary for a particular website to function. To also enable third-party cookies, go to Tools, Internet Options, and again to the Privacy tab.
- This time, click on the Advanced button and you will be able to check the box « Ignore automatic cookie management « and choose I accept for third-party cookies.
Cookies are handled very differently in Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10 than in earlier versions of IE. Here’s how you can manage cookies entirely.
- Select the gear in the upper right corner of the screen, then select ” Internet Options .”
- If you have the menu bar enabled, you can select ” Tools ” > ” Internet Options. “
- Click on the ” Privacy ” tab.
- Click on the ” Advanced ” button.
- Under the “First-party cookies ” option and ” Third-party cookies, “choose one of the following options:
- Accept: to accept cookies automatically.
- Block: to automatically block cookies.
- Notice: to warn with each request for cookies.
- You can also check ” Always allow session cookies ” if you wish. Select ” OK ” when done.
- Select the ” Sites ” button if you want to set options for specific websites.
- In this section, enter the website in the ” Website address ” field, then select ” Block ” or ” Allow ” cookies on that website. Click ” OK ” when done.
- If you want to browse the web and prevent IE11 from saving cookies after a single session, you can enable InPrivate browsing. InPrivate browsing is like incognito mode in Google Chrome.
- You can open an InPrivate Browsing window in IE11 by selecting the gear icon present in the screen’s upper right corner, then select ” Security “> ” InPrivate Browsing. “
Deleting cookies in IE is simple as in other browsers. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the cogwheel icon at the top right of the window to bring up the “ Tools ” menu and select “ Internet Options.”
- Select the “ General ” tab in the “ History ” navigation section in the window that appears.
- Click the “ Delete… ” button
- Check the “ Cookies and website data ” box (and others if you wish).
- Click on “ Delete.” Then click on “ OK ” to close the settings window.
This is it, you can now easily manage cookies in your internet explorer browser.