With Alexa, creating, managing and sharing shopping lists is extremely simple.
Generally, you simply have to give your commands and Alexa will perform the task as asked, whether it’s adding new items to your shopping list or sharing items from Alexa’s shopping list.
However, the Alexa shopping list also offers great functionality due to its integration with Amazon.
Once you have an Alexa shopping list, you can directly access these items in your Amazon app, which streamlines the online shopping process.
In this article, we’ve provided a step-by-step guide to every action you can take with your Alexa shopping list.
How to create Alexa shopping lists
Method 1: Create different types of Alexa lists using the Alexa application
- Open your Alexa application.
- The horizontal lines present in the upper left corner for the main menu, click on it.
- Tap Lists > Create List.
- Type name your list and confirm.
Method 2: Create Alexa lists using voice commands
Say, Alexa, create a shopping list or Alexa, create a [type of list].
How to change the name of your shopping list?
- Install and Open your Alexa app.
- Click on the horizontal lines in the upper left corner for the main menu.
- Click on Lists > swipe left on your list (default Alexa list names cannot be edited)
- Select Edit
- Change Name> Select Done
How to add items to the Alexa shopping list?
Method 1: Add items to the Alexa shopping list through the Alexa shopping list app
- Access your Alexa app.
- When you see the horizontal lines in the upper left corner for the main menu, press on it.
- Click on Lists > Select your list or use the default Alexa list > Add item.
- Enter the name of the item, such as Vegetables or Meat.
- Click on Done.
Method 2: Add items to the Alexa shopping list using voice commands
- To add individual items to Alexa’s shopping list: Say, Alexa, add [item] to my shopping list.
- To add wide range of Items to the Shopping List of Alexa at once: Say, Alexa, add [item 1], [item 2], and [item 3] to my shopping list.
How to check and clean items from the Alexa shopping list?
Method 1: Delete multiple items from the Alexa shopping list using the Alexa shopping list app.
If you want to delete multiple items, it is much easier to mark items on the Alexa shopping list using the Alexa app:
- Open your Alexa app.
- Click on the horizontal lines that you can see in the upper left corner for the main menu.
III. Tap Playlists > Select your default Alexa playlist.
- Click on the small circle next to the item you want to mark to delete it from the Alexa shopping list.
- Checked items are automatically moved to the end of the list in the Completed section and are grayed out.
- To hide the selected items from your Alexa shopping list, click on the three dots that you can see in the upper right corner and select Hide.
Method 2: Remove individual items from Alexa's shopping list using voice commands
It is possible to add multiple items to your Alexa shopping list with a single voice command, however, the same does not apply to deleting items. If you need to delete three items, you will need to repeat the commands for each of them separately.
When removing individual items from Alexa’s shopping list, you should say, Alexa, remove [item] from my shopping list. However, when removing multiple items from the Alexa shopping list using voice commands, you should do the following:
- Say, Alexa, remove [item 1] from my shopping list.
- Break time.
III. Say, Alexa, remove [item 2] from my shopping list.
- Break time.
- Say, Alexa, remove [item 3] from my shopping list.
Method 3: Listen to a narration of Alexa's shopping list using voice commands
Say, Alexa, what’s on my shopping list? Then Alexa will tell you the Items number on your list and then read each item aloud. If theer are more items on your list, Alexa will ask if you want to hear more. It will continue to read the next five items in your Alexa shopping list, ask if you want to hear more, and so on.
Method 4: View and manage the Alexa shopping list through the Amazon
- Open your Alexa application and click on the horizontal lines.
- Click on Your Lists > View Lists > Alexa Shopping Lists.
- You can now scan your complete Alexa shopping list on Amazon.
- You can also look for individual items in your Alexa shopping list on Amazon without the need of typing the name of items into the search bar.
- Repeat the step as mentioned above, after clicking on the horizontal lines, Tap Lists > Select your shopping list.
- Tap Share top right corner
- Share via Whatsapp, email, messages, etc.
How can Alexa send a shopping list to my phone?
- Repeat the steps mentioned on I and II.
- Tap Lists > Select your shopping list.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the Alexa shopping list page.
- Click on Share when the menu opens at the bottom.
- Your phone’s share menu will appear. Select your email, WhatsApp or Files, or any other application and send it to yourself.
When you share the shopping list through the Amazon Alexa application, the result will be in plain text that is not very convenient to manage. It will also force the account owner to submit content from the list every time someone asks for the lists.
To send all the contents of the shopping list in text format, you only need to enter it and click the exchange option that you will find in the upper right corner. This option will send all annotations in text format to anyone.
There is an easier way to share your shopping list by using third-party apps. By using a third party application, you can offer access permissions to other users (which cannot be done from the Alexa application itself), so you will no longer be the only person with access to the list.
For this purpose, you can install one of these three applications listed below:
Any of these three apps are suitable for managing your shopping list, although AnyList is probably the most suitable for managing your shopping lists, as the other two are more focused on personal organization and the taskbar. Either of the three works anyway.
If you install AnyList, you need to open a new account with the service and complete registration to begin using it. After completing the registration and launching the app, you must return to the Alexa app to link both apps.
- Go to Advanced> Settings> Lists and tap on the app you previously decided to install, in this case, AnyList.
- The app will show you the skill settings corresponding to the selected app and all you have to do is log in with the account you previously signed up for in the newly downloaded app.
- Once the process is complete, the Lists app will be linked to Alexa, so if you change your shopping list when adding or removing products, you can see the changes immediately made to AnyList or any other app.
- Now you can provide access to other people so that they can view or edit the shopping list from their phone. To do this, sign into AnyList,