When working in Australia or doing some kind of business you have to pay a tax to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The tax is deducted from the salary you receive or if you are doing the business, the income is calculated, and accordingly, tax is deducted.
While paying the tax you have two options:
- Go to the ATO office in your city to do it on site.
- Or pay via the ATO website.
Visiting ATO offices can be difficult sometimes, the advisers may not always be available to help you or you might not have the time to visit them. The online business portal of ATO has made it easier for businesses to use the services online. It is a streamlined and contemporary service that you can access on any device you like.
You have to download the application available on the Play Store or Apple store, Identify yourself, set up your GOV ID. Then after that, you can pay your taxes, update your details, manage your business reporting and transactions at the time you prefer.
The online ATO service is beneficial for those residing and working in Australia and doing their business. With the help of the ATO Business online portal you can have the following benefits:
- Quick, easy, tailored, and secure business transaction
- View and revise your activity statements
- View and revise your taxable payments annual report
- Create your payment plans
- Switch between your business accounts with a single login
- Manage your accounts and update your tax registration details
- Register for Goods and Services Tax (GST) online and pay as you go (PAYG) withholding at your convenient
- View your income tax history
How to Register on ATO?
If you are a new user, then you need to have myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) ready:
myGovID: This is a mobile application that you can easily download via the Play Store or Apple Store. This app lets you:
- Identify yourself
- Prove who you are when you are using Australian Government online services.
Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM): After you set up your myGovID, you have to link your ID with RAM. This platform allows you to operate on behalf of your business as the principal owner of the business or administrator.
How To set up your myGovID?
- According to the device you use, go to Play Store or Apple store to download the app.
- After installing the app, enter your email address. Remember that the email address should be your personal one, not the shared one or work email address that other users can easily access.
- Enter your personal details such as your First and Last Name, your Date of Birth.
- This step will provide you with a basic identity but to access all the government services of Australia you need to set up a standard ID.
- For this you need to have two of the following Australian ID documents:
- driver’s license or learner’s permit
- birth certificate
- visa (using your foreign passport)
- citizenship certificate
- Medicare card – once one of the documents gets verified above in the app, you can add your Medicare card.
- After you present any of the two documents, your ID will be checked against existing government records.
- If your record is found, your myGovID will be set up.
Once you set up your myGovID you have to link up your myGovID with the Australian business number in Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM).
For this you require the following:
- A digital identity, such as myGovID
- A compatible browser to use RAM, either
- Internet Explorer version 9.0+
- Google Chrome version 39+
- Mozilla Firefox version 30+
- Safari version 5+
Linking myGovID with RAM
- Call on 1300 287 539 and provide your personal details so they can check and verify your identity.
- Once your identity is confirmed, you will receive an email with an authorization code.
- Login to myGovID app, enter the code, and complete the link process.
- To link more than 5 ABN, you need to fill up the Assistance to link bulk ABNs form.
- Submit the form and the identity of the 5 ABN will be verified.
- Remember that all the linked ABN authorization will be valid for 12 months. After the expired authorization, you can renew it. A notification will also be sent to your email address and in RAM to remind you of the renewal date.
- The next step would be setting up authorization for others so they can act on behalf of your business.
Set up Authorization
To set up a new authorization, you can do the following steps:
- Choose Manage Authorization
- Choose the business you want to authorize
- Tap on ADD NEW USER and select the type of authorization: standard or basic
- Then enter the details of the authorized user like his name and email address.
- Now select whether you want the authorized user to be an administrator or MCA.
- Then enter the date from when you wanted the authorization to begin.
- Then select the level of access from Full, Custom, or None.
- Now select Declaration, after a code along with authorization request will be sent to the authorized business which they should accept for the authorization to set up within 7 days.
Once you have authorized the business in RAM, your authorization will be valid for 12 months. Nearing the expiry date, you will be notified about the renewal of authorization through email.
- Click on VIEW or MANAGE AUTHORISATIONS
- Click on RENEW present next to the business name
- Go through the renewal details, select the date of expiry as per your convenience and accept the DECLARATION
- Click on SUBMIT, you will receive a confirmation of your renewal.
Steps to renew Multiple Business Authorization
- Click on RENEW present in the notification box on the RAM home page
- Click on VIEW or MANAGE AUTHORISATION as mentioned earlier
- Click on authorization you want to renew
- Go through the renew details and click on CONTINUE
- Choose the date of expiry and accept DECLARATION
- Click on SUBMIT, a confirmation will be sent to you about the renewal update.